Anything you want!
We ask you to put that idea to the test during your time as a Communication Studies major by working one semester as a communication-oriented intern. It’s an experience you will never regret – and you can get credit for it by registering for SPCM 387 – Communication Studies Internship. You’ll walk away knowing so much more about yourself, the kind of work that appeals to you (or repels you!) and where to focus your energy next.
How can an internship experience improve your personal & professional story?
- Enhance what you are learning in the classroom
- Expand your understanding of communication principles and practices through professional experiences
- Develop further communication competence through practice and observation within various organizational cultures, climates and contexts
- Create professional network connections & build mentoring relationships
- Improve your preparation for future job searches
How do I find an internship?
- Students are responsible for finding an internship that appeals to them. We post internship opportunities on this page, but you can also find them through Handshake and word of mouth, or develop your own through networking.
- Research local organizations for interesting career paths, schedule informational interviews with professionals who are doing what you want to do in 5-10 years, make connections, ask questions, build your experiences through on-campus group memberships and volunteer opportunities, and engage fully in your classroom experiences.
- Call the organization or business you want to work at and make an appointment to discuss a possible internship.
- Work with your supervisor to determine your job description, your personal learning objectives, and your student obligations. Note this is detailed in the Student Internship Application and specifically, in the Internship Application Addendum.
How do I register for SPCM 387?
1. Download and fill out all information on pages 2-4 of the Student Internship Application and the Internship Application Addendum. Signatures are required.
2. Email completed application to Eliza Wagner-Kinyon, email@example.com, or hand delivered to A 205 Behavioral Sciences Building.
3. Receive approval of the intended internship from the Communication Studies internship coordinator.
4. Register for SPCM387 before the deadline for adding courses for the semester.
- Stay aware of the eligibility requirements for registering for SPCM 387
- Major in Communication Studies,
- Fulfill course prerequisites
- Maintain required GPA
If you have any questions concerning these procedures, contact Internship Coordinator Dr. Karyl Sabbath.
Fall 2019 Internship Deadlines and Forms
- Monthly Report #1: Submission Date is Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- Monthly Report #2: Submission Date is Tuesday, October 9, 2019
- Monthly Report #3: Submission Date is Tuesday, December 3, 2019
- Supervisor Evaluation due date is Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Final Report due on Friday, December 13, 2019 by 4:30 pm. Download Final Report information.
Please submit final reports as an email attachment to the Internship Coordinator, Dr. Karyl Sabbath, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Final Report Guidelines are available through the SPCM 387 course Canvas Modules.
In addition, as your Internship Coordinator, I will be contacting each of your internship supervisors (hosts) during the 7th-8th week of the semester. This contact is to support you in your internship process.
Supervisor Evaluation of Student Intern
The Supervisor Evaluation will be directly emailed to each Internship Supervisor, with a request to complete the evaluation and return the document as an attachment to Dr. Karyl Sabbath, Internship Coordinator (email@example.com) by Tuesday, December 10.
Please inform your supervisor that the Supervisor Evaluation will be sent to the email address provided on the internship application form.
Current Internship Opportunities
How to Use LinkedIn
Thanks to CMST alumnus Kathleen Faulkner (M.A., ’02), Global Account Manager with LinkedIn Talent Solutions, for sharing these helpful LinkedIn career-building and networking resources: