What can you do with a degree in Communication Studies?
Anything you want!
We ask you to put that idea to the test during your time as a Communication Studies major by working one semester as a communication-oriented intern. It’s an experience you will never regret – and you can get credit for it by registering for SPCM 387 – Communication Studies Internship. You’ll walk away knowing so much more about yourself, the kind of work that appeals to you (or repels you!) and where to focus your energy next.
How can an internship experience improve your personal & professional story?
- Enhance what you are learning in the classroom
- Expand your understanding of communication principles and practices through professional experiences
- Develop further communication competence through practice and observation within various organizational cultures, climates and contexts
- Create professional network connections & build mentoring relationships
- Improve your preparation for future job searches
How do I find an internship?
- Students are responsible for finding an internship that appeals to them. We post internship opportunities on this page and you can also find them through Handshake, word of mouth, or develop your own through networking.
- Research local organizations for interesting career paths, schedule informational interviews with professionals who are doing what you want to do in 5-10 years, make connections, ask questions, build your experiences through on-campus group memberships and volunteer opportunities, and engage fully in your classroom experiences.
- Call the organization or business you want to work at and make an appointment to discuss a possible internship.
- Work with your supervisor to determine your job description, your personal learning objectives, and your student obligations. Note this is detailed in the Student Internship Application and specifically, in the Internship Guidelines.
How do I register for SPCM 387?
2. Email completed application to Azumi Solbrig: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Receive approval of the intended internship from the Communication Studies internship coordinator.
4. Register for SPCM387 before the deadline for adding courses for the semester.
- Stay aware of the eligibility requirements for registering for SPCM 387
- Major in Communication Studies
- Fulfill course prerequisites
- Maintain required GPA
If you have any questions concerning these procedures, contact Internship Coordinator Dr. Karyl Sabbath.
Spring 2021 Internship Deadlines and Forms
- Monthly Report #1: Submission Date is Friday, February 19, 2021
- Monthly Report #2: Submission Date is Tuesday, March 23, 2021
- Monthly Report #3: Submission Date is Tuesday, April 27, 2021
- Supervisor Evaluation due date is Tuesday, May 4, 2021
- Final Report due on Friday, May 7, 2021, by 4:30 pm. Download Final Report.
Please submit final reports as an email attachment to the Internship Coordinator, Dr. Karyl Sabbath, at: email@example.com. The Final Report Guidelines are available through the SPCM 387 course Canvas Modules.
In addition, as your Internship Coordinator, I will be contacting each of your internship supervisors (hosts) during the 7th-8th week of the semester. This contact is to support you in your internship process.
Supervisor Evaluation of Student Intern
The Supervisor Evaluation will be directly emailed to each Internship Supervisor, with a request to complete the evaluation and return the document as an attachment to Dr. Karyl Sabbath, Internship Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Please inform your supervisor that the Supervisor Evaluation will be sent to the email address provided on the internship application form.
Current Internship Opportunities
News and Media Relations Internship with University Communications (CSU)
- 10 hours/week
- Apply by May 28
- Job description and application instructions
PR Internship with the CSU Translational Medicine Institute (TMI)
Fort Collins Utilities Community Engagement Internship
- May – August 2021
- Part-Time (10-20 hours/week)
- Job Description
Digital Media Intern with Center for Healthy Aging
- Starts mid-May
- Part-Time (10-15 hours/week)
- Apply through Handshake Digital Media Intern Handshake Posting #4731768
- Job Description
Internship – Broadcast Coordinator, Foothills Unitarian Church
- Starts January 2021
- 6-8 hours/week
- Job Description – Broadcast Coordinator
Studio & Marketing Intern Opportunities with NINE dot ARTS
- Paid internships. Six to 12 months. Scroll down on page below ‘Business Development Manager’ to see individual postings.
- Begins January 2021
- CEO Martha Weidmann is a CMST alum and participated on a Fall 2020 alumni panel you can watch via YouTube.
Women in Science Network (WiSCi) – Social Media Intern – Available Now
National Park Service Climate Change Communication Internship – Summer 2021
- Deadline to apply is January 15, 2021
- Job Description
Girls in the Spotlight – Summer Internships
Epsilon Sigma Alpha
Fort Collins Utilities – Spring 2020
Fort Collins Museum of Discovery Internships (for Spring 2020 Semester):
- Grant Research and Writing Intern
- Artifact Collections Intern
- Visitor Experience Intern
- Archive Intern
Real Estate Intern – Velocity Real Estate & Investments, Inc.
Marketing Administrator Internships – H.E.L.P. International
2020 Summer: Marketing Communications Intern – Lallemand Animal Nutrition
2020 Summer: Climate Change Communications Intern – National Park Service and George Mason University
Social Media Intern: Carson Block Consulting
Technical Writing Intern – Schneider Electric, Fort Collins
Fort Collins Food Cooperative – Blogging, Crowd Funding Campaign, and YouTube Internships
Partners Mentoring Youth – Marketing and Events Intern
City Internships – Global Vanguard Program
City of Fort Collins Utilities – Community Engagement Internship
‘stache Media – Music Digital Marketing Internship
Southwest Airlines – Communication Tools Intern