Martín Carcasson’s article published in the American Press Institute

Professor and Center for Public Deliberation Director Martín Carcasson has published the article “How local opinion sections can transform into public forums: Insights from public deliberation” in the American Press Institute.

Excerpt:

I am a deliberative practitioner, a relatively new career choice that I believe will become more and more common and critical to local communities. One location it may become influential is in reshaping local opinion journalism.

Here is where I and perhaps others are coming from. My job as a Communication Studies professor and the founder and director of the Colorado State University Center for Public Deliberation (CPD) is focused on helping my community have the sorts of conversations and collaboration they need to address their shared problems more effectively. I was initially trained to do the difficult work of evaluating the quality of arguments, trying in particular to distinguish between strong and weak arguments. We believe that the better our arguments, the better our decisions and ultimately stronger our communities will be. . . .

Link:

How local opinion sections can transform into public forums: Insights from public deliberation