Eight exceptional undergraduate Communication Studies students were awarded this month with inductions into CSU’s Mu Sigma Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, the undergraduate honor society of the National Communication Association.  

Lambda Pi Eta is a prestigious organization that requires high academic marks and commitment to the field of communication of its student members throughout their Communication Studies major. These eight new inductees join two from last December, Nicole Taylor and Allison Slusar 

MEET OUR OUTSTANDING STUDENTS 

Olivia Birg is a junior with a minor in global studies. She feels honored to be a part of Lambda Pi Eta: “I feel it is a representation of my hard work and my continued dedication to the field of Communication Studies. I’m excited to work with and learn from Dr. Sabbath, other members… and my fellow inductees.” 

A senior minoring in media studies, Katarina Burke is excited for her induction into Lambda Pi Eta to shed light on her scholarly achievements. She added, “Being inducted into Lambda Pi Eta is an incredible opportunity that will benefit my connections and circumstances, currently and for the future.” 

Pageant contenders line up on stage in ballgowns, crowns, and sashes
Savanah Overturf, third from the left, is the winner of the 2021 National Miss Amazing title.

Savanah Overturf’s name may sound familiar to you as she was crowned National Miss Amazing, a pageant that highlights women and girls with unique abilities, last year. Savanah is a junior minoring in creative writing. She acknowledged that “as a first-generation disabled learner, my steps take longer.” For this reason, she said, “I’m simply happy to call myself a college student let alone part of an honor society like Lambda Pi Eta.” 

A senior with a minor in business administration, Rhiannon Palone is planning to graduate in August. For her, Lambda Pi Eta signifies the “opportunity to be surrounded by others in the Communication Studies department with a similar sense of passion, motivation, and dedication to the major.” 

Ashley Patterson is gearing up to graduate next month with a minor in geology. Her goal is to pursue a career in science communication. “Being inducted into Lambda Pi Eta is validation. My hard work and sacrifices are paying off,” she said. 

Like Ashley, Anna Poelma is also set to graduate in May, but with a double-minor in history and business administration. For Anna, joining Lambda Pi Eta “symbolizes the ongoing commitment that I and my incredibly talented peers have made to the field of communication, and, on a greater scale, the excellence of CSU’s Communication Studies Department as a whole. I’ve felt really lucky to spend the last four years in such an amazing department, and as such being inducted feels like a really cool solidification and validation of my work in the communication discipline at CSU and beyond.” 

Jessica Porter is a junior minoring in ethnic studies. Joining Lambda Pi Eta “is truly an honor” for her, and she added, “I love being able to show my commitment and dedication to the CSU Communication Studies Department!” 

A senior about to graduate with a minor in botany, Steven Wyman was not able to attend the induction ceremony. Nevertheless, he said his Lambda Pi Eta membership “represents the culmination of all my efforts here at CSU. I am incredibly proud to be a part of this community full of professors who have guided me through my university experience, fellow members who also take pride in the field of communication studies, and I look forward to my future as I use the knowledge I have learned to create my own exciting life.” 

LEADERSHIP & DEDICATION: MORE ON LAMBDA PI ETA 

NCA_SCH_LogoThese outstanding students were honored with a department induction ceremony run by Lambda Pi Eta Faculty Advisor Karyl Sabbath, Ph.D. and a breakfast at the Aspen Grille.  

Department Chair Greg Dickinson, Ph.D. and Director of Undergraduate Studies Nick Marx, Ph.D. also joined to celebrate. “I am so proud of the leadership and dedication these students have demonstrated as Communication Studies majors, and I look forward to their continued success,” Marx said. 

In addition to the department induction ceremony, student members of Lambda Pi Eta also receive a certificate and an honor cord at graduation. To learn more about joining Lambda Pi Eta, including eligibility requirements, please see our “Engagement Opportunities” webpage here. 

The Department of Communication Studies couldn’t be prouder of our students’ outstanding achievements. This chapter is just the start of their many successes, and we can’t wait to see what they accomplish with their degrees.